The sound of R&B has evolved over the years with many artists contributing new styles and approaches to making their music. A number of talented acts have contributed but few have had as dominant a run as R. Kelly.
Born on January 8, 1967 in Chicago, R. Kelly was the product of a single-parent household and grew up in the Ida B. Wells Homes, a notorious housing projects on the city’s south side. With his mother being an avid singer herself, Kellz took to music at a young age, but would officially take it serious after a music teacher Ms. McLin goaded him into entering a high school talent show.
After his first performance drew rave reviews, Kelly would continue to cultivate his craft by performing around the city before forming a group named MGM with other male vocalists from the area. MGM would release a single,”Why You Wanna Play Me,” but would disband soon after, leaving Kelly a soloist once again. But the young singer’s fortunes would change when he secured a deal with Jive Records in 1991. Linking up with a local group named Public Announcement, they would release their one and only album, Born into the ’90s, in 1992.
R. Kelly would eventually split from Public Announcement to becoming a solo artist and grew to become a R&B icon. Nearly twenty years deep in the game, R. Kelly has built up a catalog with classic albums and songs that have defined the genre.
The Pied Piper’s discography is wide-ranging, which makes it virtually impossible to choose the best of the lot, The king of R&B is back with another classic album for all R&B music enthusiasts. We have all listened to this here in the office and think it’s a solid body of work. The King of R&B is back. Take a listen below for yourself.
- Randall Dean – Thought About It – S&S Promo Video - April 25, 2017
- Fatman Scoop & Freak Fineman – Freak Somebody - April 19, 2017
- Global Mixx The Workshop HBCU SiriusXM Channel 142 feat. Guest Hosts Shannon “DJ Skip” Syas and Steve “Silk” Hurley - March 27, 2017
- Reach – Attempted Love - March 24, 2017
- S&S Podcast 023 – DJ Jes - March 23, 2017
- S&S Podcast 22 – Maurice Joshua - February 4, 2017
- Jameisha Trice – A Chicago Christmas - December 25, 2016
- S&S Records 2016 - December 19, 2016
- S&S Chicago Podcast 2016 - December 18, 2016
- S&S Podcast 021 – Zeek - December 17, 2016